[aprssig] MapQuest Maps for Findu.com

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Sun Apr 17 14:38:47 EDT 2005

Or, we scrap the whole idea of piggybacking on commercial
Map sites and do it ourselves.  The benefits:  we create exactly what best
suites our needs and never rely on the free gratitude of using a commercial
site and its shared bandwidth (what we've already learned, when they get
tired of us and others hogging their servers they simply boot us off).

The downside:  we would have to set up our own server(s) and host the site
ourselves.  Likely this would require at least as much room and horsepower
as FindU needs, and far more than the current APRSWorld map server.

What I'm talking about is converting the entire USGS SDTS database into
files and resolutions that we need.  It would also be possible to do the
same for the DEM datasets and overlay that or render them separately.  Jerry
and I had tossed this idea around a few months ago.  It would be a big
project probably requiring a few thousand man hours to complete the
conversions and create the files.  Then the whole issue of servers,
bandwidth and hosting would have to be resolved.

This would provide the highest quality maps at the resolutions we want, yes,
all the way down to street level.  For users with a fast Internet connection
I suppose you could take the idea one step further and allow client
applications (such as UI-View, WinAPRS and XASTIR) to interactively download
maps on the fly as the user desires, eliminating the whole PMap and
StreetAtlas issue, at least for those with the bandwidth and connectivity to
support it (obviously mobiles and users with dial up ISP won't be able to
take advantage of this, at least not "interactively").

This is not a weekend project.  Is there sufficient interest in pursuing it?