[aprssig] MapQuest Maps for Findu.com

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Apr 17 08:40:14 EDT 2005

On Apr 17, 2005, at 1:34 AM, ke4nyv at hamhud.net wrote:

> The way I read that, we should have 100% free access to these maps for
> street-level detail.

Read the terms of use. You can _link_ to them, not grab their maps and
manipulate them. The result is the same as the MSN map and Google map
links you will find on the left set of links on the find.cgi page.
There are many mapping services that allow this, it simply draws you to
their site and they make money from the ads.

What findU needs are sites that allow you to grab the map itself,
manipulate it, and retransmit it, or as MapBlast did, allow deep
linking to just the map, allowing them to be embedded in pages. The
only commercial internet mapping site I know of without terms
preventing this is Google. They use complex javascript  code to access
their maps, but there are a couple groups making progress at hacking
the access method. You can follow their progress at SourceForge. The
trouble here is this is a beta from Google, those sometimes last
indefinitely, but more often they are turned into a commercial product,
at that time it is likely they would post the same restrictive terms of
service everyone else uses.

Steve K4HG