[aprssig] MapQuest Maps for Findu.com

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Apr 17 06:34:21 EDT 2005

ke4nyv at hamhud.net wrote:

>I might end up getting royaly flamed here, but...
>
>What was the original mapping site that findu.com USED to render maps from?  Was
>is mapquest.com or mapblast.com ?  I don't remember.  The reason I ask, I was
>looking around mapquest.com tonight and came across this page:
>
>http://www.mapquest.com/features/main.adp?page=lf_main

It was MapBlast.Com , now part of Microsoft and now serving
MapPoint-sytle maps for a fee.

>A couple things jumped right out at me that seemed to be right in line with what
>findu.com needs to get street-level mapping back.
>
><snippets>
>
>"Do you run a website or write software that could benefit from free maps and
>driving directions?  LinkFree is a free service from MapQuest that allows you
>to link directly to MapQuest.com and display high quality interactive maps and
>driving directions."
>
>"Anybody, and everybody. From personal homepages to national retail sites,
>LinkFree is available for you. By linking to MapQuest you agree to comply with
>our terms and conditions."
>
></snippets>
>
>The way I read that, we should have 100% free access to these maps for
>street-level detail.

.It sure looks thet way.  The only problem I see is that the interface
seems to be purely street-address oriented.  Unless there is an
undocumented alternate access method, there is no way to do a lookup
based on lat/long instead of street address.

Stephen H. Smith             wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                   http://wa8lmf.com

New/Updated "Rev G" APRS     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs
Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: