[aprssig] Traffic info in APRS

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Tue Apr 5 14:55:58 EDT 2005

The SC DOT has a site that is pretty static, but it does give road
closures for planned work....
http://www.scdot.org/getting/roadcloselist.asp?distid=1 for example....

I just contacted someone there, and he was somewhat flabbergasted when I
asked it they could include lat/lon on the webpage.  The problem it
seems is when their road crews enter this information, they don't know
the lat/lon.  I explained to him that we have a way of getting NWS
watches and warnings into "our system" (I did not use the term APRS),
and we'd like to beable to use his data as well.  What I got was "well
I'll look into it", and when I offered my phone number and asked when I
should call back, he reiterated "I'll look into it".  So, nothing but
cooperation from 1/50th of the country's DOTs.

Unfortunately, the best thing I can think of to do since there is no
rhyme or reason for the freely entered text they use to describe the
locations, is to run a cron script on the web pages every day and have
that script email me when the page changes so I can _manually_ create an
object.   bummer!

Wes