[aprssig] Traffic info in APRS

Chris Kantarjiev cak at dimebank.com
Tue Apr 5 12:24:03 EDT 2005

> Actually, They are not needed in the "APRS-IS".  THey are very
> local packets only desired on RF in the immediate
> vicinity of the traffic slowdown for mobile users to see on
> the front panel of their APRS radio.

I'm not currently in a position to send these via RF. And I'm never
going to be in a position to send them to, say, Chicago or Atlanta. So
my intent was to use APRS-IS and Igates to do the distribution
appropriately.

> The APRSdos version APRStfc.exe is such a system.

Yes, I've read about that, and it's a nice system if someone sets
it up, and there are APRS mobiles passing the choke points. That's not what
I (and others) are talking about here - we're talking about
using data that the DOTs and other entities collect and make
available on the web (loosely), and getting that into APRS.

For example, making RF-visible some of the data that can be seen
at http://www.sigalert.com/map.asp?Region=Bay+Area - getting
the "yellow" and "red" markers to appear as APRS objects.

CHP incident data is a lot harder, but worth thinking about.

73 de chris KG6VYD