[aprssig] BALLOON unproto paths

Jim Duncan jdbandman at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 3 13:24:31 EDT 2005

I made contact with Troy, KC0MIC, overnight. I admonished him,
threatened to break out my Wouff Hong, and I think he has the general
idea now.  The following is his response to my notice:

Jim Duncan, KU0G
=========Following is from KC0MIC, relayed to the list by KU0G==========

To the APRS community:

In regards to the Royal Mess made of the network on
the morning of April 2, 2005:

I sincerely apologize for the problem and can assure everyone
that it won't be happening again.

In the future we will either operate on a different frequency or
make sure that we consult with the APRS community in setting an
acceptable path and beaconing before launching.

The issue occured mainly through ignorance, lack of planning and
missing a checklist item.

By the time I figured it out, it was way too late , I was actually
hoping it would burst in 10 minutes.

As part of our after-action review, that will figure prominently.  We've
already settled on moving to another frequency.  We're just now building
enough contacts and people to help that can do the i-gating and such.

I'd also like to say "Thank you" for the kind way your members have
pointed out the situation to me.

We're going to have to either enlist an APRS expert or get some expert
training.  (Hopefully both!)

Again, my sincere apologies for the problems caused and I will be taking
steps to insure that it won't happen again!

73
Troy Campbell
KC0MIC