[aprssig] Re: Actually, the WIDE2-1,WIDE1-1 solution!

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Fri Apr 1 14:47:43 EST 2005

I think I have it!

A mobile station running W1-1,W2-2 gives 3 hops minimum becuase
W1-1,W1-1 would cause every home station in town to TX....  But there is
a real case for running less than 3 hops... If a mobile wants to limit
his path to fewer than 3 hops, he can "dummy up" a reduced Wn-n count by
using W2-1 instead of W2-2.

I still think RELAY stations switching to W1-1 is a good idea.

We could have three recommended paths for mobiles:
W2-2       ->two hops off digis, if you can hit 1st digi direct
W1-1,W2-1  ->one hop off house or digi, one more hop off digi
W1-1,W2-2  ->one hop off house or digi, two more hops off digis

In other words, if you want one hop, we have a solution.... WIDE1-1
If you want two hops, we have a solution W1-1,W2-1
If you want three hops, we have a solution W1-1,W2-2
if you want four hops, we have a solution W1-1,W3-3

And.... W2-2 still works everywhere because all digipeaters will respond
to it.

Wes