[aprssig] Why RELAY,WIDE... is so bad....

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Apr 1 12:35:41 EST 2005

>>> aprs at kd4rdb.com 4/1/05 10:53:30 AM >>>
>[If this works, then] I think that the recommended path
>for mobiles should become:
>WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
>or
>WIDE1-1,WIDE3-3

No.  The recommendation would be

WIDE1-1,WIDE1-1 in any area that is quite well saturated (2 hops)
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 in the boonies...

No way do we want WIDE1-1,WIDE3-3 which is a 4 hop path

>Of course the sets the minimum number of hops to 3.
> The rule of thumb would become never run WIDE1-1
>after the first position.

ARGH!!! you are right.  It wont work!  Because for the
95% of the time when the mobile is hitting a big digi
direct, then all the HOME stations will be then making
another copy!   Grrrrr.....

Back to the drawing board.  Or do it like you say and
let it be WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2.   But I dont like making all
mobiles then be 3 hops

OK, This will work:  Make the mobiles be

WIDE0-1,WIDE1-1

Make all the fill-in-digis have the alias of WIDE0-1
Thus they WILL respond to the initial WIDE0-1 but
will not respond to the big digi's WIDE1-1 later...

Will that work?

Bob
Wb4APR