[aprssig] APRS low-power-local ALT input channel

Mike Yetsko myetsko at insydesw.com
Mon Sep 27 19:03:22 EDT 2004

> At 12:51 PM 9/27/04, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>
> >Others please invest in your APRS network and do a
> >llittle local investigating on the possibilty of using 144.99
> >in your area... thanks...
>
> The Indiana Repeater Council band plan lists the band segment
> 144.900-145.100 as "Weak Signal, FM Simplex, Digital/Packet" (seems like
> some incompatibility there). I have contacted them for specific guidance
> regarding 144.99.
>
> Roger Grady  K9OPO

Almost missed this, as I generally ignore anything in rich text format...

But...  I will say that there are a LOT of repeater councils and
co-ordinating
groups around the country that don't give a puff of bile scented gas for
the
other users of the spectrum.  Here in New England, they have used ALMOST
ALL of the simplex slots between 146.400 and 146.600, as well as the
counterparts in the 147 area.

Now to be fair, they are "repeater co-ordinators", they are NOT 2M band
plan co-ordinators.

But, it means that if you have a rockbound or 'diode' rig, you CANNOT
easily travel around New England without ticking someone off somewhere.
And in some cases the repeater users (again, to be fair, usually NOT the
'club' members or sponsors, usually 'newbie' people who see an excuse
to turn into repeater cop idiots) are not polite or civil.  Then again,
maybe
it's just New England.  There was a field day group that insisted they
owned 146.535 one year...  I guess we're not immune to defective genes
in the HAM radio pool!

Anyway, if you have a 'council' or repeater co-ordinating group that is
pulling the stunt of grabbing all they can, just remember, they ARE a
'repeater co-ordinating' group, and just doing their job.  And they
will CONTINUE to do their job, as they see it, no matter how misguided
the rest of the HAM radio community sees it unless you MAKE NOISE
about it.

If you choose to make noise and point out the idiocy of their ways, also
please remember that it probably is NOT the people in place now who
caused the situation, but they are certainly the people that can help
rectify it!  Remember Jimmy Durante and his very wise saying...  The
fingers you step on today may be connected to the xxx you have to kiss
tomorrow!!

Mike