[aprssig] Latest Xastir Release: 1.4.0, 09/16/2004

Doug McFadden kc7imr at orednet.org
Sat Sep 25 12:22:35 EDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, John Kraus wrote:

> AMEN BROTHER
>
> I would rather try and compile a Linux From Scratch system on a p-166 then
> go through Xastir again. Did it once and it took about 6 days to compile
> everything but I did not have to download anything beyond the main packages
> all of which where easy to get..
>
> I have SUSE 8.0 pro and several spare computers what I don't have is a week
> of spare time to spend searching and fighting to get it done. Why someone
> can't host the necessary files / libraries etc is beyond me.

Everyone should build a new Linux kernal!  Learn how to use
"Make_menu_config" and customize the kernal for your specific hardware
setup.  You will be plesantly surprised at how much better it runs when
tailored to your machine.  In doing so, you will get rid of the extra net,
video, sound, etc. drivers in the generic, out of the box, kernal that
will never be used with your h/w.  Smaller means faster and leaves more
ram for apps.  I stay away from "modules" except for very slow and little
used peripherals, floppy, cdrom, printers and then only if ram is light.
Modules take time to load so I try not to use them at all.

Keep a copy of your boxed kernal and set Lilo so you can boot new or old
incase the new one won't run and have fun hot rodding Linux.

Doug/KC7IMR

Trying to establish voice contact ... please yell into your keyboard.