[aprssig] APRS low-power-local ALT input channel

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Sat Sep 25 07:30:51 EDT 2004

No.  Bob is again trying to justify the elimination of any type of
collision avoidance based on the faulty premise that if it is not 100%
effective, then don't do it.  Ground level users are in a combination
aloha/CSMA network.  In fact, in a local operation (which is what we are
talking about), ground based devices do see a high percentage of other
transmitted packets (the need here is not to be able to decode those
packets, but to see the signals).  I stand by my statement: it is bad
operating practice to transmit without listening first to prevent
intentional interference on a shared channel.  It is bad data network
design to use a shared channel with no attempt to have a collision
avoidance method.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net