[aprssig] conveying map view

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Sep 22 16:43:00 EDT 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> So we just need to key off something special in the packet, whether
> it be an "eyeball" symbol with an included range field, or what.
> This is starting to sound very cool.  Good find!

Bingo!  That just nailed it for me.  I was hesitant to see the EYEBALL
always force a center and draw, but if we trigger off the RNGXXX
field, then that makes it selectable.

oops...
Ah, but I just realized, this will make me vulnerable to the guy in east
podunk that always likes to force everyone's screen to his favorite bar.
So I will leave the feature off all the time.  THus I need to turn it
on when needed.  But that takes as much effort as just clicking on a
station and hitting the redraw key.

I'm back to square one...

Well, no actually, I guess I will only CENTER when I first receive the
packet.  From then on he cannot change my display...  unless he changes
his object name...

OK, PROPOSAL IS:

The EYEBALL ICON if it has a RNGXXX descriptor will cause everyone's
map (if the feature is enabled) to CENTER and ZOOM to range RNGxxxx
on first receipt.

Did I miss anything?
de WB4APR, Bob