[aprssig] conveying map view

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Sep 21 17:29:23 EDT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Wes Johnston wrote:

> It sure would be nice if there were an APRS packet which would allow me
> to send a map view to someone else... for example, I could send my
> center position and the height of the map to another user or group
> (maybe a message or BLN type).  It would be up to them to accept this
> "pushed view" and to overlay the best map for that area.

Great idea.  There is!  APRSdos has always had that feature to
automaticaly center and select the best map on any station sending
the position/comment of "PRIORITY" or "EMERGENCY".  They are treated
the same, as far as auto-map-centering,  its just that PRIORITY does
not trigger alarms.

I dont think though, that it automatically adjusts the range scale
unless it is bigger than 128 miles, then it reduces it to that
range scale so that all the icons are not on top of each other..

de WB4APR at amsat.org, Bob