[aprssig] conveying map view

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Tue Sep 21 16:58:48 EDT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Wes Johnston wrote:

> Yes, but I don't know of a single APRS client that will allow you
> to either 1) specify by typing a view, 2)let you click on the
> contents of a message and specify a view automagically.
>
> Is there one that does?  It would really be neat if we could
> publish map views (ie bookmarks) just like we do objects.  New
> people arriving on the scene of an event would have within a few
> minutes, a list of common views.... ie downtown, the county... the
> event... and then if someone said "It's in the upper right corner
> of your map" we'd have a fighting chance to see what the guy is
> talking about.

I can see the usefulness in that.  It shouldn't be hard to add that
to Xastir.  We already have a way to specify map center/zoom, so
we'd just have to put in a special message type to push that out,
and to decode it.

How best to do that?  Group message?  Directed message to a
particular station?  Query?

Would we want a list of the map files to go across as well?  That
could get very long/time-consuming across the air.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer