[aprssig] RE: [OZAPRS] Re: SSID's

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Sep 20 21:08:43 EDT 2004

Someone had asked...

> What does "SSID's" stand for? What does it do?

and someone replied...

> In the 802.11 "Wi-Fi" world, SSID stands for  "service set identifier".
> It is used to distinguish between wireless networks.  I assume the acronym
> is the same for APRS/Packet and it distiguishes between nodes with the same
> callsign.  This way you can operate more than one station (node) on the
> APRS network under the same callsign while still keeping them unique.

The reply was accurate in the function of SSIDs, but in packet the acronym stands for Secondary Station Identifier... although I have always thought of it as sub-station identifier. e.g. VE7GDH (same as VE7GDH-0) could be my IGATE / Digipeater and VE7GDH-9 might be my mobile station. SSIDs range between zero and 15, so you could have up to 15 packet or APRS stations on the same frequency with the same callsign as long as they each had a different SSID.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
--
"I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am."