[aprssig] Garmin Writst GPS

Brian Riley (maillist) n1bq_list at wulfden.org
Mon Sep 13 21:23:10 EDT 2004

On 9/13/04 8:59 PM, "Stephen H. Smith" <WA8LMF2 at aol.com> wrote:

> Robert Bruninga wrote on 9/13/2004, 6:03 AM:
>
>> It did have a big problem in that it powers up in
>> GAMRIN interface every time. and you have to
>> manually reset it to NMEA every time.  But he said
>> there is a firmware upgrde avaiable to fix that part.
>

> I mentioned this issue in my review of this device at:
>       http://members.aol.com/wa8lmf/aprs/Foretrex.htm
>
> The current flash memory firmware upgrade downloadable from the Garmin
> web site fixes this problem.
>
> As far as I can determine, there is no provision to upload ANYTHING
> except firmware upgrades into the device.

For the $179 MSRP, you would hope you could at least upload waypoints ...

Speaking of firmware upgrades. A friend of mine just bought a Garmin
GPSMap60C. It had firmware 3.40 in it and the Garmin Site said 3.50 was the
current. We did the firmware upgrade and the unit never worked quite right
again and we couldn't seem to back it up to 3.40 ... EMS took it back and
gave him a new one and we left the upgrade out!!!!!

 What a pain!

Cheers ... 73 de brian, n1bq, underhill center, vt