[aprssig] Re: The New N-N paradigm CAN WORK

Christopher A. Kantarjiev cak at dimebank.com
Fri Oct 29 02:23:20 EDT 2004

> So you tell the digipeater operators that they can reclaim their local areas by
> switchign their kpc3's to KISS mode and adding a controller that costs $30 to
> $50.
>
> Yes, someone has to write this software.  I may add it to my list of projects,
> or someone might beat me to it.  This software would have to be able to decode
> ALL aprs position formats (are there 4 or 5?).  And some packets (such as
> messages) don't have a position attached, so we'll have to let them be
> digipeated.  And we'll have to decode 3rd party packets too... but it's
> do-able.

I'm interested in working on a project like this - but I have a pretty big
backlog at the moment. One thing that I have been thinking along these lines is
that it should *not* be the ultimate configurable digi - rather, it should be
specifically tuned for APRS, allowing only the bare minimum configuration and
not be heavily rule based. Instead, it should encapsulate the currently
understood best APRS digipeating practices.

Of course, that means that "we" have to come up with the specification of those
best practices in one place, so they can be moved from words to code. The
information is out there, but it's really scattered around (says this newbie who
has been trying to collect it).

73 de chris KG6VYD