[aprssig] Worst Path of the Day

J. Lance Cotton josecanuc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 11:07:15 EDT 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:57:01 -0400 (EDT), Tyler Allison
<tyler at allisonhouse.com> wrote:
> Personally I like the findu.com solution. All we have to do is convince
> the findu.com admin(s) to not display people with "bad" paths and that
> should take care of 50% of folks who care about their traffic.  The other
> 50% will only be 'corrected' with a large hammer like a digi or igate ban.

It's not a matter of just picking out those with bad paths and not
displaying them. As Steve stated, findu doesn't parse paths. This
means that there would have to be new code written or existing code
integrated that would pick apart each path and decide whether that
packet is "good" or "bad".

While that may be an easy thing to do, technical-wise, it opens up a
whole new can of worms. Don't forget about Joe Bad-Path-User who is
one that only cares about getting his packet on findu.com. When his
station stop showing up or is replaced by a denial page explaining why
he is not going to say "ah, I guess I need to change my path". Like
any good ham, he will say "This path worked before, I shouldn't have
to change something that has always worked before. I think findu is
out to get me, so I will write some hate-mail to Steve Dimse and let
him know that I don't want to change."

Even those who are not malicious in their path selection will just
want it to work and since it worked before, why should they have to
change to get it to work again. This is basic human (maybe just
American?) thought, and it may be more prevalent in hams. :-)

> Let's all remember...the people with bad paths DONT CARE...either they
> dont care because they are lazy and just dont care...or they dont care
> because they believe it's their right to screw everyone else. Either
> way...only a large stick will cure the problem.

Don't underestimate the urge of a lazy person to complain rather than change!
--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightnigflash.net
http://kj5o.lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3.
Eat the cookies.