[aprssig] Worst Path of the Day

Tyler Allison tyler at allisonhouse.com
Wed Oct 27 10:57:01 EDT 2004

> It seems to me that the best option is for APRS applications to educate
> (and maybe bludgeon) the user who tries to set a bad path.  This, of
> course, assumes that the operator is willing to listen and learn.  I
> agree with Curt that sometimes a path that is frowned upon for general
> operation could be necessary.
>
> It also seems that the IGate would be the best place for any sort of
> enforcement.  I suspect that IGates are the immediate target of paths
> that are too long, so appropriate enforcement may be if an IGate
> messaged Mr. WIDE7-7,RELAY and started dropping his packets (maybe
> after a grace period, maybe not).  IGates would also have the smarts
> for this, so we don't have to mess with the digis, dumb or not.

Personally I like the findu.com solution. All we have to do is convince
the findu.com admin(s) to not display people with "bad" paths and that
should take care of 50% of folks who care about their traffic.  The other
50% will only be 'corrected' with a large hammer like a digi or igate ban.

Getting the software developers to 'add' a warning when using a path isnt
going to help the 90% of users who dont upgrade to the latest version of a
particular piece of software.

Let's all remember...the people with bad paths DONT CARE...either they
dont care because they are lazy and just dont care...or they dont care
because they believe it's their right to screw everyone else. Either
way...only a large stick will cure the problem.

ps: before someone questions my numbers, yes..they were pulled out of my butt

-Tyler / KI4BUM

--
"If you want to get to the top, prepare to kiss a lot of the bottom." -
Despair.com