[aprssig] Fundamental APRS capacity

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Mon Oct 4 09:58:59 EDT 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> >> Here is the algorithm to exactly (in real time) determine what
> >> the ALOHA circle range is for any user:
> >
> >Great explanation, and the algorithm seems reasonable,
> >but you stopped at the most critical point.  How do you
> >use this information to come up with a reasonable path.
> >Should it be 'RELAY, WIDEC-C'?
>
> Ah, that's easy.  Just have your software display the PHG
> circles for the digis and then you can see how many hops
> it takes to hit the digis or any combination of them.  APRSdos
> displays the DIGI ranges in green so they are easy to see.
  Easy for you to say.  I don't run DOS any longer, or any of its
derivatives, and I don't know of a similar function in xastir.  You wanna
contribute the relevant code to the xastir project?
  Besides, this is all theoretical at this point.  My entire ham station
is in boxes.  I'm running xastir on an internet feed only, and my only
tracker is a pockettracker, which is so low-powered that I see a packet
making it to the internet servers only once in a blue moon.  It wouldn't
matter if I ran an obnoxious RELAY, WIDE9-9 when I can't even hit the
RELAY, which is 10 miles away on an 85 foot tower.  Those packets that do
manage to hit the RELAY (when I drive right past the tower on the X-way)
seem to make it to the internet without going thru a WIDE at all (If I'm
interpreting the path info from findu correctly...)

--
Rick Green

                                  -Benjamin Franklin