[aprssig] New and playing

Bob Gould bobg575 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 12:19:32 EST 2004

William,

One thing that aslo has to be remembered when
operating APRS is that you have an effective range of
only 1/2 to 1/3 that of what you would communicate via
voice. There is no error correction in the transmition
that could correct any bad packets. That means if the
digi does not receive your info correctly, it will not
show the report.
The advise of more power is good and another thing
that works well with the low power approach such as
using a handheld, is increasing your report rate.
Instead of 20 minute or 30 minutes, move it up to
something like 10 minutes or less. Keep in mind though
that if you get into an area that has good coverage
you should change the rate back.

N1WJO
Bob

--- William McKeehan <mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net>