[aprssig] Deluo GPS connector

Larry Cerney lcerney at viawest.net
Tue Nov 16 13:46:53 EST 2004

Scott,

I just finished modifying my Deluo GPS to work with the OpenTracker.  I take
the +5 directly from the OpenTracker and ship it to Pin 4 on the DB-9.(I've
replaced the cable on the Deluo, don't remember if power originally to Pin
4.  Don't try this with a stock cable without confirming the power pinout)
The Deluo DOES NOT have polarity protection and if you reverse the power you
will kill the GPS in an instant.  Don't ask how I know.  The 78L05 is rated
at a peak I of 140 mA.  The Deluo GPS draws ~135 mA @ +5 and the OpenTracker
~ 7 mA.  This is pushing the limit of the 78L05 a bit, but I haven't seen it
get hot yet.  We'll just have to wait to see how long it will last.

BTW, the Deluo is a nice little GPS.  I've mounted mine on the window sill
in the rear of my SUV and it works great.

Larry
K0ANI

See my OpenTracker at:
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=k0ani-14&topo=8

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."
--Albert Einstein