[aprssig] Windows UI-View Replacement - Development

Darryl Smith Darryl at radio-active.net.au
Sat Nov 13 20:13:40 EST 2004

People

I have started a list on TAPR to look at a new Windows UI-View replacement,
as Roger decided that no more development would be done following his death.
The concept is to write a windows program and Architecture that will suit
third party development, like UI-View, but go far further.

The concept is also that it would require a WINDOWS PC with the .NET
framework. We are looking at computers no more than 3 years old to run the
software as a benchmark.

We might use config and map alignment files from UI-View as a basis for the
software to reduce development time.

We are also looking at splitting the system in the following areas
		Packet Encoding and Decoding
		Display and Mapping
		TNC and Network Controls
		GPS Controls

A mailing list has been set up to look at all this. The mailing list can be
subscribed to by looking at

The list is available on

	Aprs-windows at lists.tapr.org

Anyone wanting to see a copy of the existing available code should email me
privately

Darryl

People

1. I will get a list created for discussions of this topic made up. I will
let people know

2. netAPRS has been a source of income for my company. But realistically it
is not going to be one in the future. I was not planning to open source it
before this, but this may be a requirement.

3. My code is extremely modular. It could probably undergo some architecture
changes. But the idea is that each component is separate. Mapping is
separate from TNC and is separate from everything else.

4. It is written in VB.NET. From my point of view, .NET is a requirement for
whatever we do. It is upgradable into the future. If we do it properly we
can have components written in different languages talking to each other.

5. We will require some people to be architects, understanding the existing
code. There will be changes needed. But I think the basis is there. The APRS
parsing engine needs mainly to be cleaned up and documented. It also needs
messaging and weather support. This would be a good sub-project.

6. If the mapping side needs a commercial component, lets do it. Radioactive
Networks will pay for bits as much as it can. But there are implications
here for charging for the software - the software needs to be
self-sustainable if we need to purchase this type of thing. Roger had the
right idea about $20 per user/copy I think. But this needs to be carefully
managed so that any income is only used for tools, and not for paying
programmers.

7. The netAPRS weather support is not great. Neither is messaging. Neither
is beaconing. I do have it translated into French, Italian, English, and
Aussie Slang.

8. Current mapping support in netAPRS is for OziExplorer and MapPoint as an
external program. I would love to have the ability to integrate to online
maps such as MapPoint Web Services and APRSworld maps. Also to MapInfo and
ESRI.

9. Resources areas needed

	VB.NET programmers
	System Architects/Designers
	Documentation People

	Upgrade and improve APRS decoder engine. Add encoding into the
engine. Add opentrac support
	Review existing software architecture
	Review options for mapping engines
	Messaging and Weather support
	TNC integration

10. Resources not needed

	Beta Testers

11. Until we get the mailing list done, I would be happy to share the source
of netAPRS with people under Non-Disclosure. It will not run since it
requires various extra components but the architecture is there. If you want
a look let me know. Not everyone who asks will get to see as it is a
commercial product at this minute. Tomorrow will most likely be a different
case.

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS   POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 International]
www.radio-active.net.au\blog\ - www.radio-active.net.au\web\tracking