[aprssig] RE: Windows UI-View Replacement - Development

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Sat Nov 13 21:20:57 EST 2004

I haven't looked at it in awhile, but I seem to remember UI-View was lacking
in map metadata.  Couldn't specify datum, at least, and doesn't it treat
everything as a simple Cartesian plane, with no concept of map projection?

As for TNC configs, I say: DON'T.  Absolutely no supporting terminal-mode
TNCs.  KISS has been commonplace for what, 20 years?  If we're using 3 year
old machines as a baseline, then a KISS TNC should be part of the baseline
as well.  I've talked to a number of European users, and they can't believe
that we're not running KISS in the States.  Support AGWPE, but don't cater
to obsolete hardware.  Maybe John Hansen would be willing to give a discount
on a bundled version with a TNC-X for those still stuck with ancient
hardware.

Scott
N1VG