[aprssig] ID requirements...

Ron Stordahl ron.stordahl at digikey.com
Tue Nov 9 08:57:12 EST 2004

Robert Bruninga wrote:

>>The best I can come up with using UIDIGI is this:
>>Beacon 1 sent every 600 seconds, offset of 0 seconds,
>>Beacon 2 sent every 3600 seconds, with offset of 0
>>Beacon 3 sent every 3600 seconds, offset of 1800 seconds,
>>

>You are right that that will cause dupes on the hour and half hour.
>Therefore I would do it this way:
>#1 every 30 mins starting at   0
>#2 every 30 mins starting at 10
>#3 every 60 mins starting at 30
>
>That will get you a local packet every 20 mins, a WIDE
>every 30, and a WIDE2-2 every hour and no dupes.
>***But once every hour on the 50 minute mark, you wont
>get any.   But 5 out of 6 ain't bad, since the rest of it works
>so well.

What you say would be correct, except unfortunately my testing
overnight, which I have just checked this morning indicates that UIDIGI
doesn't actually do as the doc's say.  The settings I made per the
manual should have caused the no via posit to issue every 10 minutes,
and it did.  The WIDE1-1 to issue each hour, and it did, but the
WIDE2-2, which should have issued once/hour with a 30 minute offset
actually issued every 1.5 hours with a 30 minute offset!  So it's
implemented wrong, but maybe I can make it work to my advantage
somehow.  However I will contact the author about this....

>>You... say that each beacon should have identical text.
>>I can  certainly do this, but I was not aware that this would
>>be an issue as long as the position portion of the beacon
>>was unchanged.
>>

>No, because a change in position text, is certainly a
>change in information, and a change in information from
>any station is a cause for that new data to be LOGGED.
>And we hate filling up our log files with 144 cycling positis
>from a non-moving digi per day...

Ill go with identical beacon text, I prefer that anyway.

>Maybe we need to feedback to the author of UIDIGI that
>he needs the 4 timings...so that he can support the standard.
>Or better, maybe he should have a simple selection that is
>the default that is the standard without the sysop having
>to think it all out every time...
>
>Only 1 TEXT, and then automatically implements the
>every 10 min local, every 30 min 1 hop and every 90 mins
>2 hops.  Notice the 90 minutes is the desired rate for
>the 2 hops, but no one has figured a way to do it
>perfectly with the KPC-3 or any rom with only 4 options...

Ill contact Marco IW3FQG about implementing your suggested standard.

You may want to join the UIDIGI yahoo group, perhaps in web read only
mode to cut down on your e-mail, so you can follow this request to
Marco.  You might want to chime in as well.  Ill e-mail you an invite
directly just in case.

Thanks,

Ron, N5IN