[aprssig] ID requirements...

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Nov 9 08:40:55 EST 2004

> WHY does a digipeater need to ID past one hop?
> ... distant areas do NOT need to know about my local digi.

I disagree.  Knowledge is power.  Knowledge of the network
is what makes APRS work when needed and what separates
true communicators from appliance operators.  There are
times when one needs to get a message to a distant station
and knowing where the digis are, and their callsigns makes
it easy to use a specific path to get there without QRM.

> [If I use] RELAY,K9PUP,K9DOG,K9CAT. It makes it as
> far RELAY*, but k9pup doesn't hear it due to a collision.

That's why the sending station retries.  But a 4 hop path
has such a low probability of success, I'd rather use a 2
or 3 hop example. (and a fixed station should not start with
RELAY either).

> ... but we never know the number of hops our message
> will take to get there...

That's the problem with MOST current APRS clones,  because
they do not show the overlaping DIGI coverage PHG circles
or do it wrong or poorly.   The range circles of a digi makes it
 trivial to see how many hops it takes to get anywhere.
It amazes me that UIview ignroes this fundamental aspect of
communications...  Its users cannot visualize paths!

>  but really, why do I need to know about a network resource
> that I cannot (practically) specifically address to get to a
> station

Because a directed path is the BEST way to get there.
and you need to know the callsign to use a directed path.

>To me "advertising" your local digipeater out 2 or 3 hops
> is just a ego thing.

Anything beyond 2 hops or more often than once an hour
true.  But one packet every hour to give a true DIGI map
of the region is of trememdous value to people who actually
"use" APRS, instead of just watching pretty maps...

Bob