[aprssig] ID requirements...

Ron Stordahl ron.stordahl at digikey.com
Sat Nov 6 21:40:44 EST 2004

Trying to reduce unnecessary transmissions I have lengthened our many
remote digi's beacon period to 30 minutes.  I believed this would be
fine as I had thought that the call letters of each remote digi would be
embedded in every packet they digi'd.

Monitoring the packets they digi from mobiles and other stations by
using the "TRACE ON" function in the MFC1270C which displays every
packet it hears in hexidecimal, shifted-ascii and ascii, I believe that
I was in error.  I cannot see that our remote digi's insert their call
in the packets unless they happen to be the first or the last digi in a
path in the case of typical WIDE digipeating.

If this is true, then it would appear that the minimum beacon period for
a remote digi must be 10 minutes, and we will have to put up with the
additional transmissions this will cause.

My testing has been done using UIDIGI as a remote digi.

I hope I am wrong on this point.

Ron, N5IN