[aprssig] Re: [amsat-bb] Re: NO-45

Steve Dimse k4hg at tapr.org
Mon Jul 26 09:27:36 EDT 2004

On 7/26/04 at 8:15 AM AE5PL Lists <HamLists at ametx.com> sent:

>It always amazes me that hams will spends $$$$ on radios, equipment, and
>Internet connections, but don't want to spend $15 or $20 to help another
>ham support the software they developed.  Pay the manufacturers, but
>don't pay the software authors.  Hmm, IMO something's wrong with that
>picture.

Just a matter of tangibility. Honest people that would never dream of stealing a
pack of gum from Safeway don't blink about stealing software or music, because
it is just electrons. Software is intangible, and therefore perceived to to be
worth less than something tangible, so people don't want to spend money on it.

Same reason so few members of this SIG support TAPR by becoming a member. The
benefits from joining are mostly intangible, and not needed to enjoy the fruits
of TAPR's efforts, so why "waste" the money...

Steve K4HG