[aprssig] Fixing HID problems on APRS!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jul 24 21:01:46 EDT 2004

Richard, if you want to announce that you are operating
both a BBS and a KA node on the APRS frequeency
then put that info in your APRS POSITION COMMENT field
or in your APRS STATUS packet.  That is what those
fields are for.

Do *not* also send out an HID packet EVERY 10 minutes
which is just useless QRM to everyone and everything
else on frequency.  It is just an innefficient use of the
channel and was never intended for there to be HID packets
on APRS.

The ONLY reason APRS decodes HID packets is so that
you can use APRS to monitor OTHER channels and see
what is out there...  HID packets should not be on APRS.

de Wb4APR, Bob