[aprssig] ARISS Satgates
bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jul 20 11:06:01 EDT 2004
>>> jdw at eng.uah.edu 7/20/04 10:52:47 AM >>>
>> More ARISS Satgates needed?
>Would a simple quarter wave be better than a vertical
>antenna with gain, because of the null above the gain
Yes, the 19" 1/4 wave is better for several reasons.
1) It has better elevation coverage then the typical
half wave or 5/8 wave antenna
2) The 5/8ths has gain only below about 15 deg where
usually the satellite is not decodable because of
6 dB greater distance and trees and inabilty to see
down to the horizon anyway...
3) The 19" whip is also resonant on the 435 MHz
providing dual band operation.
4) On 435, the 19" whip is a 3/4 wave antenna and has
almost 7 dBi of gain above about 25 deg up to about
5) No need to worry about the overhead null of the
19" whip which is good to above 60 deg, because
any LEO satellite is only above 60 deg less than 4%
of all possible access times...
To see the TIME versus ANGLE plot and see why
elevation rotators are NEVER needed for LEO satellites,
aprssig mailing list
aprssig at lists.tapr.org
More information about the aprssig