[aprssig] Disgusted with APRS (HID's)

Rich Mazzeo forummail at richmazz.com
Mon Jul 19 14:21:51 EDT 2004

W1AW:
- HID ON
- Alias of WIDE without alias of RELAY

> Lets do a little ELMERING here...
> Thanks.  Lets FIX 144.39!

    I was thinking a weekly bulletin/announcement transmitted in each area.
Something like "BAD APRS: tip of the week".  I've generally had good success
simply telling everyone what they are doing wrong.  Most operators will
welcome the suggestions.  I just wish more people would start letting other
stations know about their incorrect operating practices, cause sometimes I
feel like the neighborhood crank. :-\

I've already contacted a trustee for one digi right next to me that:
Beacons a bad status packet every MINUTE via WIDE,WIDE (no ">" at the
beginning and contains bad characters)
Beacons a bad position via WIDE5-5 (Won't show up)
and otherwise generates ~130 packets an hour of unusable traffic
But after 3 months no one has been able to get to the site to fix this.

--
Rich
N3XKU