[aprssig] Disgusted with APRS (HID's)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jul 19 09:31:28 EDT 2004

>>> mwrobertson at comcast.net 7/19/04 9:22:01 AM >>>
>If a digipeater is set to digi only on WIDEN-N and HID
>is off, as I understand it, they will not be adding their
>call, thus, they will never be identifying their transmissions?

Good observation, but they are supposed to be sending
out their APRS Position beacon once every 10 minutes
locally, and in most cases that is using a DIRECT path
so that it doesnt QRM 3 states.

Setting the local POSIT to every 10 minutes is -not- the
simple BEACON EVERY 10 setting.  It takes a little
shrewdness using at least 3 of the LTPaths and 3 LTexts
and 3 BLT's as detailed in:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/digi-rates.txt

Then it sends out a POSIT once every 10 minutes DIRECT
and out ONE hop every 30 minutes and 2 hops every
hour without any duplication.

thanks.  Bob, WB4APR