[aprssig] Quieting Honda Generator (was) Portable Ops from 12v via 115 VAC

J. Gary Bender, WS5N WS5N at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 31 12:37:17 EST 2004

I have the 1KW Honda generator in use on my camper.  I love it in that it starts
easily, has a handy 12 VDC charging output, and runs all night on the load of
the furnace even on very cold nights.  However, it also wipes out reception on
my 3-22 MHz SW receiver, and does a number on AM broadcast as well.  It covers
the bands with birdies.  FM seems to be ok.

I have not tried it yet with an HF rig, but my guess is that the generator will
only be useful for recharging batteries between operating periods.  Has anyone
had any experience using these generators with HF gear?  Have you found ways to
suppress RFI?  Are you limited to VHF and above while it is running?  I guess
something easy to try would be a 100' extension cord and seeing how it behaves
with physical separation from the radios.
--
J. Gary Bender, WS5N
Tijeras, New Mexico USA