[aprssig] winlink

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Dec 29 17:14:37 EST 2004

Re; WinLINK:

Yep, I think so too.  ALready today, I have been monnitoring
the local WINlink channel and have seen another APRS user
use it.  I think it is ideal for the bulk traffic and the ARRL
seems to endorse it.

Today, I'm going to add a LOCAL object for the local
WinLINK station (on PARS) so that locals can see it on their
radios.  Note, this is a LOCAL-DIRECT object so it does no
damage beyond the area where it can be used.

Bob, WB4APR

>>> aprs at kd4rdb.com 12/29/04 3:40:33 PM >>>
>From what I've read so far about winlink, and the power point show, it
looks to
me like winlink is a winner.  I haven't even downloaded the software
yet, but I
see that it allows us to divert email automatically from internet to
radio if
internet fails.  It uses standard email programs like MS outlook and
eudora.
The end user doesn't need to know anything except the name of the
winlink mail
server to program into his email program (in the case of an EOC lan).
wow...

It seems that winlink has done for HF email what aprs did for packet
radio...
made it extremely simple to use.  And the less time we spend finegeling
the
system, the more time we can spend communicating.  wow!

http://www.winlink.org/Presentations/ARES.ppt is a great slide show,
but a
little confusing to me a times... wish I had a narrator!  Some of the
slides
are a tweek "busy"....  Can't wait to find out more!

Looks like we have a hand in glove complimentary system to go right
along with
APRS.

Wes