[aprssig] winlink

Spider spider at rivcom.net
Wed Dec 29 23:27:52 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu>
To: <aprs at kd4rdb.com>; <aprssig at lists.tapr.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 3:14 PM
Subject: Re: [aprssig] winlink

> Re; WinLINK:
>
> Yep, I think so too.  ALready today, I have been monnitoring
> the local WINlink channel and have seen another APRS user
> use it.  I think it is ideal for the bulk traffic and the ARRL
> seems to endorse it.
>
> Today, I'm going to add a LOCAL object for the local
> WinLINK station (on PARS) so that locals can see it on their
> radios.  Note, this is a LOCAL-DIRECT object so it does no
> damage beyond the area where it can be used.
>
> Bob, WB4APR

Bob,

All the WinLink Telpac and HF nodes are Shown on FireNet.  If you connect
there and watch, you will see them.
Please check the format we are using:
WLNK-3>APWL2K,TCPIP,WA6OFT-1,WA7RAT-10,WIDE2-1* <UI>:;DM24UD
*300403z3408.75N/11417.50WnWL2K Port,WA6OFT,145.550,1200,PARKER, AZ

It gives any Igate connected to FireNet the ability to Gate these objects
locally to RF.  And the reason we encourge this is the same exact reason you
just explained.  APRS users can see where the nodes are without being
connected to the internet.
As an example, An Igate connected to a filtered port might have a range
filter set at 100km or whatever his local area is.  he would then gate any
Telpac node object that was within his filter range.

73

Jim, WA6OFT