[aprssig] Re: More thoughts on Connected Packet - telpac_node

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Dec 29 10:19:40 EST 2004

>>> aprs at kd4rdb.com 12/29/04 9:52:52 AM >>>
>tcp/ip is... really chatty on air.... but it's impossible (practically

>speaking) once you start having to route on air via net/rom.
>Net/rom delivers EVERY packet.  So when the two mix...
>the plethora  of packets would cause the network to effectively
>collapse on itself.   Lesson learned was to route TCP/IP the
>whole way.

Or stop trying to  use an end-for-end multi-multi hop system
built up of 1200 baud fragile links all over the countryside on
shared channels!

This new NETgate idea is only 2 hops anywhere on the planet
between any two hams anywhere.
RF to the local NETgate (to the internet)
RF to the end user from his local NETgate.

And since the internet handles all of the global connectivity
it is trivial to the end user.  No need at all for all the overhead
of on-air TCPIP.

>I'm actually looking forward to playing with winlink.
>The only problem I have is that it may not run in linux...

WinLINK sounded great when I first heard about it,
but it is a message/email/file system only and is therefore
application specific.   Why limit ourselves?

I'm excited about going back to simple global AX.25 packet
connectivity end-to-end  for ANY application... with RF
at the ends and the internet in the middle.

Bob, WB4APR

Quoting Bill Vodall <wa7nwp at jnos.org>:

> > > No reason they can't be -- specially if running Linux.
telpac_node is

http://www.jnos.org/blog/2004_11_01_jnos_archive.html#110140782217158315