[aprssig] Re: More thoughts on Connected Packet - telpac_node

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Dec 29 12:30:00 EST 2004

>>> mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net 12/29/04 11:22:27 AM >>>
>Is there some web site that I can go to to get a basic
>understanding of other packet modes (other than APRS)?

For a quick example, on the air,  connect to someone's BBS.
Read a few messages and send a message or two.  That is what
packet was all about back before APRS.  There used to be BBS's
on just about every digital 2 meter frequency (144.91 to 145.09
and 145.51 to 145.79) in metro areas.  Most of them died in the
late 90's.

But during this thread, I have simply put my rig on 145.01 and 03
and 05 for about 15 minutes at a time and when my APRS captures
a packet, then I know what is there.  A BBS, or Node, or WinLINK
(though it does not appear that WinLINK beacons to show its
presence)...

Its fun to tune around and see what elese you can find.

Bob

>I downloaded Airmail, but it looks like it is only setup to work on
HF. I've
>only got 144 and 440 capabilities - is there any packet, other than
APRS, that
--
William McKeehan
KI4HDU