[aprssig] New n-N and 28 versus 30

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Mon Dec 20 14:37:24 EST 2004

Ummm.....  the checksum in the UIFlood is a checksum of the data portion of a
packet.  So if the data portion changes, so does the checksum.

If I have a tracker that is transmitting a posit every 10 seconds as I travel,
then every packet's data portion is unique.  Each posit will slip thru the
checksum filter, right?

If I have a fixed station (or stationary tracker), then the checksum filtering
will catch it.  So in the case of a parked car, you'd limit the parked car's
psitions to one every 30 seconds... or in the case of UIFLOOD 32, it would
round over to the next integer minute.

So on the one hand, if we make the number of seconds something high like 255
seconds, then we slow the redundant packets from parked cars... but we also
limit retries on messages from stations...

I'd say the number could be 61 seconds.
Wes