[aprssig] BIG-TALL digis that hear FAR too MUCH!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Dec 14 18:18:05 EST 2004

Wow, another aspect of the alphabetical list of DIGIS:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/digiphgc.txt

Is to look up all the digis that are in your greater area.
and look at their user counts.  The 7 digis that cover
the greater WashDC/BALtimore area EACH have from
131 to over 300 users PER DIGI!

This should tell EVERYONE in this area that even
2 hops is TOO MUCH.  One hop - and one-hop only!
(to paraphrase Sean Connery in Red October)...

Wow we have grown.

The fix for this is to drop everything but RELAY everywhere
and only allow one hop  (only kidding)...

But it is true.  With all those digis, my mobile only gets in
when I am CLOSE to one of the digis.  And this is not
because of weak signals, it is because one has to be
CLOSE to a digi to OVERCOME all the other QRM that it
is hearing.

Bob