[aprssig] Base antennas and a couple other questions

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Fri Dec 10 21:57:27 EST 2004

>We are slowly working on the mobile command post idea, but at the moment
>the $$ isn't there (and probably won't be for a couple years). Right now
>we are using borrowed equipment which is why the trailer may not always
>be available.

Yeah, been there.  We're doing better these days with a single county-wide
team and some dedicated fund raising members.

>The uTNC seems like a good choice for this. We have a second D700
>dedicated to being a digi, but given the terrain and vast search areas
>we sometimes have one isn't always going to be enough.

The D700s are pretty expensive, and we don't have a lot of console space for
more radios.  I'd rather stick a HamHUD in the console and have it listen to
MRA-1 if we want to get distances and bearings to other stations.

>No, we aren't. We are ground pounders, and don't normally go above the
>treeline. We used to be Explorers but have slowly gotten away from that
>name, although the majority of our 70+ members are teenagers.

There's not much above 6,000 feet in this county, but we do a lot of mutual
aid.  Used to be an Explorer myself - Post 32.  That post has been gone for
a long time, but I'm happy to hear someone's still doing it.  It was a great
experience for me.

Scott
N1VG