[aprssig] New MidAtlantic DIGIpeater Plan!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Dec 8 18:50:40 EST 2004

Mid Atlantic New n-N Paradigm Plan                           8 Dec 2004

We must modernize APRS in the Mid-Atlantic region.  And it can be done
overnight by remote-digi-sysops, with little impact on existing users
and yet open up more efficient pathing and troubleshooting.  It is based
on the principles of the new n-N paradigm:

1) Long Chain Interstate LINKn-N chains
2) Continuing to support WIDEn-N where possible
3) 100% traceability of WIDEn-N to better tune the network
4) Full support of Mobiles using RELAY,WIDE or R,W,W

These recommendations are based only on what I can see on the air from
Maryland.  Feel free to add any aditional digis as needed and greatly
extend these LINKS into other regions indefinately as far as the
interstate goes!  This system fully supports the long haul traveler, AND
reduces WIDEn-N QRM to the rest of us by a hundred-fold compared to
comparable WIDEn-N routing with abusive long paths.

The design is simple.  DIGI sysops have TWO GENERICn-N paths they can
support.  Simply decide what is best for your area for each of these.
Use FIXED FONT
to see the columns.

I-64 64LNKn-N Kentucky to Norfolk:
DIGIS:   KF4UCI-4 KF4UCI-3 N9WMU-3  N4EVA-11
UIFLOOD: 64LNKn-N 64LNKn-N 95LNKn-N 64LNKn-N
UITRACE: WIDEn-N  WIDEn-N  64LNKn-N WIDEn-N

I-95 95LNKn-N Richmond-to-NY City:
DIGI:    N9WMU-3  K4MQF-1  KV3B-2   N3KTX-1  N3IP     KB2EAR-1
UIFLOOD: 95LNKn-N 95LNKn-N 95LNKn-N 70LNKn-N 95LNKn-N 95LNKn-N
UITRACE: 64LNKn-N WIDEn-N  WIDEn-N  95LNKn-N TBD      GSPKYn-N

I-81 81LNKn-N Tennessee to Eastern PA
DIGI:    N4ZZQ-3  Roanoke? K4EME-3  N4DSL-3  N3KTX-4  N3XBO-4  W3ND-2
UIFLOOD: 81LNKn-N 81LNKn-N 81LNKn-N 81LNKn-N 70LNKn-N 81LNKn-N 81LNKn-N
UITRACE: WIDEn-N  TBD      WIDEn-N  TBD      81LNKn-N

PA Turnpike PATPKn-N Pittsburg to NJ:
DIGIS:   WF8X-4   KB8CVP-7 N8YIB-2  KF3M-1   W3ND-2   N3XBO-5  N3IP
UIFLOOD: 70LNKn-N PATPKn-N PATPKn-N PATPKn-N 81LNKn-N PATPKn-N 95LNKn-N
UITRACE: PATPKn-N WIDEn-N  WIDEn-N  WIDEn-N  PATPKn-N TBD      PATBKn-N

I-70 70LNKn-N  Ohio to Baltimore
DIGI:    WF8X-4   N3KTX-5  N3KTX-4  N3KTX-2  N3KTX-1
UIFLOOD: 70LNKn-N 70LNKn-N 70LNKn-N 70LNKn-N 70LNKn-N
UITRACE: PATPKn-N WIDEn-N  81LNKn-N TBD      95LNKn-N

EAST COAST COASTn-N Norfolk to NY CITY
DIGI:    WA4KXV   N4EVA-13 N4EVA-12 XXXXXXX- WX2NJ13  WX2NJ15
UIFLOOD  COASTn-N COASTn-N COASTn-N COASTn-N COASTn-N COASTn-N
UITRACE  WIDEn-N  WIDEn-N  WIDEn-N  WIDEn-N  GSPKYn-N GSPKYn-N

Notice that if you want to continue to support WIDEn-N, please move it
to the UITRACE parameter so that at least they are traceable.  There is
no need to trace the long-haul LINKS because they are linear and we dont
care what it takes to get there, because collateral damage is vastly
reduced compared to all-directional-flooding like we used to have!

Remember, if you are not ready to go cold-turkey on WIDEn-N yet, you
dont have to, this is just adding a new capability and dropping the
old TRACEn-N which no one is using.  But if you are fed up with WIDEn-N
like I am, then please feel free to drop it now.

If you dont like this plan, then let us know your plan for reducing QRM.
 But if you want to get control of our network so that it works locally
for users and low power trackers, then please lets get moving on this!
Please report when these or other LINKS have been made so that we can
now PLAN OUR NETWORK instead of letting it just drown in uncontrolled
WIDEn-N flooding...

DIGIS marked with a * are actual!  All others are recommendations only.
This page will be updated periodically.  The neat thing will be that
once it is going, we can simply search FINDU for a MAP of every digi on
every chain! (as long as you put the name ie: 81LNK in the BText)

Be sure to also update your BLT's and LTPaths and PHG's and BEACONS
while you are at it.  See

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/digi-rates.txt

Or read all about the new n-N paradigm on

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html

de WB4APR, Bob