[aprssig] (Ab)Use of APRS for telemetry? Anyone doing it?

Spider spider at rivcom.net
Sun Dec 5 17:38:56 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Washer" <washer at trlp.com>
To: <aprssig at lists.tapr.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 2:53 PM
Subject: [aprssig] (Ab)Use of APRS for telemetry? Anyone doing it?

>I see the the APRS spec talks about telemetry via APRS, and I was just
>wondering it anyone was using this feature. Yes, I realize that posits and
>WX can be considered telemetry, but I'm talking about other uses of
>telemetry.
>
> Like sending data back from remote sensors, or controlling stuff ( garage
> door, gate, lights, water pumps, cat feeder, etc)
>
> Anyone doing anything like this? If so, let me know.
>
> - jim

I've played with one of my KPC 3+ Tnc's and telemetry.  Worked pretty good.
I used it to measure the aux battery in my motorhome and I tried it with an
O2 sensor until I blew up the sensor some how!  Cost me $60 dollars but it's
very doable if you dont smoke your sensors playing!  If you watch the
internet messages you can see the telemetry details go by.

Jim, WA6OFT