[aprssig] (Ab)Use of APRS for telemetry? Anyone doing it?

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Sun Dec 5 20:43:30 EST 2004

I've found that a lot of my OpenTracker users are using it for ad hoc
telemetry, sending back temperature and/or voltage readings.  It sends them
as plain text in the comment, though, not in telemetry format.

I think the APRS telemetry system is a bit too 'heavy' for most simple
systems to implement.  The OpenTRAC protocol tries to address that, but
there's a lot of progress to be made.  I hope to have something ready to
demo in that department by next year's DCC.

Scott
N1VG