[aprssig] ic-2200h and DR-135T

Stephen H. Smith WA8LMF2 at aol.com
Thu Aug 19 02:53:43 EDT 2004

Joe Della Barba wrote on 8/18/2004, 6:59 PM:

 > The Alinco would seem to be an ideal low cost APRS rig either with or
 > withou
 > tthe built-in TNC, but I never hear about them. Does anyone use them?

The Alinco uses the same TASCO TNC-on-a-chip as the Kenwood TH-D7 and
D700, but lacks the Kenwood's APRS-specific firmware and front panel
display.

By itself, the Alinco TNC can only act as a dumb transmit-only tracker.
It doesn't provide the message RX and TX capability, or menu-driven
configuration system of the Kenwoods.  To get any kind of receive or
messaging operation, you have to connect an external terminal or
computer to the Alinco's serial port.