[aprssig] ic-2200h and DR-135T

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Wed Aug 18 21:24:04 EDT 2004

I use the DR-135TP for my K1XVM Igate.  It's a nice rig for what it is.  I
have the D700 in my truck though, so I'm rather spoiled as far as
packet-enabled radio gear goes.

The DR-135TP Tasco TNC doesn't do KISS mode though (the bane of the Tasco
TNC, even in the D700).  So if you need it for an application that requires
that, I'd probably rethink things.

But, the DR-135TP can act as a Tracker, so no need for a Tinytrak.  It's
also relatively inexpensive, and it works great with Xastir (and UIView,
which I also used it with).  I can't complain.  I do wish I had bought the
UHF+VHF model now though, because that would've been the smarter purchase I
think.  I think I should've bought the DR-620 so I could've had a radio I
could've used for both APRS and for voice comms at the same time.

The IC-2200H was touted as being APRS enabled, I thought in their
ads?  That's very disappointing if that's not the case.

--Droo, K1XVM