[aprssig] what is RELAY, WIDE, TRACE, etc?

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Thu Aug 5 15:54:07 EDT 2004

At 01:02 PM 8/2/2004, Jason Winningham wrote:

>On Aug 2, 2004, at 1:39 PM, Earl Needham wrote:
>
>>>So let's say I'm in north Alabama and I routinely get traffic from
>>>stations in Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, etc because they're using
>>>WIDE9-9.
>>
>>         Can't do it, because you only get 7 hops.
>
>Those weren't random examples, those were packets I saw over the
>weekend.  Most were WIDE4, 5, or 6, but I have seen 8 and 9.  I looked
>a couple of calls I could remember up on findu. Here's a couple:
>
>WX6X>APW247,KB0WZI-3*,WIDE5-5,qAo,K5QQ-1:=3712.05N/09316.01W_PHG3020/
>WinAPRS 2.4.7 -MOGRNSGF -247-<530>
>N9UT-9>APZ188,WIDE4*,KB9YVN,IGATE,qAS,KB9YVN:!
>3831.71NN08715.11W#PHG8560/W-R-T-IN Washington

         Have you got an example of someone actually getting WIDE9-9 to
pass through a digi?  The few digis that I have checked won't repeat such a
path.  The two examples here are not that long, either.

>These two are 400 and 275 miles, respectively, from my station.  IMO
>the first is definitely excessive and the second may or may not be,
>depending on how much ARPS traffic you have in your area (I think it is
>for our area and for his).

         They may be excessive, but you still only get 7 identified hops in
AX.25.

         7 3
         Earl

Earl Needham, KD5XB, Clovis, New Mexico  DM84jk