[aprssig] what is RELAY, WIDE, TRACE, etc?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Mon Aug 2 16:02:49 EDT 2004

On Aug 2, 2004, at 1:39 PM, Earl Needham wrote:

>> So let's say I'm in north Alabama and I routinely get traffic from
>> stations in Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, etc because they're using
>> WIDE9-9.
>
>         Can't do it, because you only get 7 hops.

Those weren't random examples, those were packets I saw over the
weekend.  Most were WIDE4, 5, or 6, but I have seen 8 and 9.  I looked
a couple of calls I could remember up on findu. Here's a couple:

WX6X>APW247,KB0WZI-3*,WIDE5-5,qAo,K5QQ-1:=3712.05N/09316.01W_PHG3020/
WinAPRS 2.4.7 -MOGRNSGF -247-<530>
N9UT-9>APZ188,WIDE4*,KB9YVN,IGATE,qAS,KB9YVN:!
3831.71NN08715.11W#PHG8560/W-R-T-IN Washington

These two are 400 and 275 miles, respectively, from my station.  IMO
the first is definitely excessive and the second may or may not be,
depending on how much ARPS traffic you have in your area (I think it is
for our area and for his).

> however, there are certain ops out there that are going to do whatever
> they want regardless of how it impacts anyone else.

Yep, and that's why I asked about configuring a digi to drop those who
have that attitude.

>  However, at first glance,
> http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/near.cgi?call=KG4WSV shows that KE4ROC-7
> is less than half a mile from your position.

Yep, and an IGate/digi another mile past that.  Huntsville is pretty
well covered, as far as I can tell.

>   You're not able to use that digi?

Not when I'm at home.  I have a ~30 mile commute, and only a few
digipeaters have very limited coverage until I get over half way to
work.  There are digis north, south, east, and west of Decatur but none
_in_ Decatur, and the coverage is not good.  I don't know how to get
findu to draw a map around coordinates, but if you look around  34
32.810N  087 03.750W you'll see a hole.  Try
http://geo.aprsworld.net/map/near.php?lat=34.54683&lon=
-87.06250&name=KG4WSV&bbox_size=1&maps=yes

I do have contact info for a couple of the local digipeater operators
and will talk to them before I put anything up.

Thanks again to all who responded; WA8LMF's essay was what I was
looking for on that subject.  I'd still like to see a good book with
all this stuff in it. (:

-Jason
kg4wsv