[aprssig] what is RELAY, WIDE, TRACE, etc?

Mark Earle wa2mct at mearle.com
Mon Aug 2 15:13:06 EDT 2004

At 12:25 08/02/2004 -0600, Larry Cerney wrote:
 >Jason,
 >
 >No user should use WIDE9-9.  APRS is a local tactical network with
 >capabilities to send information a long way.  For each of us user we should
 >have paths no farther than the first Igate.  Once a position beacon gets to

There are other reasonable goals besides getting a packet to an Igate, that
may require more than 1 or 2 hops. While 9 is probably excessive, 3 to 5
may be reasonable, depending on what the originators' goal is.

Many of us consider the APRS-IS a wonderful thing, but view APRS as more of
an on-air system, and operate with that assumption.

       ) )    de WA2MCT Mark
      ( (
       ) )    You will be assimilated... oooh, coffee!!
    _|****|   http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?wa2mct-8 Home
   ( |    |   http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?wa2mct-9 Mobile
    `|____|   wa2mct at mearle.com  wa2mct at juno.com  www.mearle.com/mark