[aprssig] what is RELAY, WIDE, TRACE, etc?

Larry Cerney lcerney at viawest.net
Mon Aug 2 14:25:56 EDT 2004

Jason,

No user should use WIDE9-9.  APRS is a local tactical network with
capabilities to send information a long way.  For each of us user we should
have paths no farther than the first Igate.  Once a position beacon gets to
an Igate it goes into the Internet to APRS-IS server system and anyone with
internet access and appropriate software can track a station around the
world.

As to who should use RELAY, WIDE and WIDEx-x, the way I explain it is the
WIDE's should be the highest, most powerful stations in an area.  Talk with
the other operators in your region and see if there is a need for another
WIDE.  If you can easily hear a WIDE or two there is no reason for a second
or third.  WIDE's are the mountain or hill top stations, if your station is
low, you're a RELAY.  Older TNC's would only work WIDE.  Most newer or
upgraded TNC's support WIDEx-x.

As to how to handle lids with WIDE9-9, that's up to you.  I would try to
inform/educate them.  Configuring your digipeater not to pass a station
because its path is WIDE9-9 isn't going to fix all the other stations that
receive positions from the lid.  Ask if it is necessary for their position
to be digipeated across 5 states.  Most operators will understand and back
off to the more reasonable WIDE2-2.

Bob Bruninga writes very detailed analysis of APRS, but it is verbose and
the answers you might be looking for don't just jump out at you.

I'd suggest if you don't see any WIDE's in your area, set one up.  If you do
have WIDES, set your self up as a RELAY.  If you have full time Internet
access consider setting yourself up as an Igate as well.

73...

Larry
K0ANI
Denver Igate and RELAY station. WIDE's are at 12,000 feet.

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what
the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be
replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

Douglas Adams (1952-2001)