[aprssig] what is RELAY, WIDE, TRACE, etc?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Mon Aug 2 13:22:49 EDT 2004

On Aug 2, 2004, at 10:48 AM, Larry Cerney wrote:

> But you ask about digi operators reigning in users.  We are all
> users with no central control.  Getting on APRS isn't like signing up
> with
> an ISP.  We all try to operate for the betterment of APRS.

So let's say I'm in north Alabama and I routinely get traffic from
stations in Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, etc because they're using
WIDE9-9.  Do I let it go because we're all "just users", do I try a QRZ
lookup and contact that operator and educate him, or do I try to
configure my hypothetical digipeater so that I drop packets with what I
consider hostile paths?  I'm already seeing a lot of Atlanta area
traffic as compared to local traffic, probably because of a couple of
mountain-top digipeaters and stations with 3 hops.  On the other hand,
I see practically no traffic from the Nashville area even when I drive
around 840, so I wonder if it's because of terrain or if APRS in that
area has already reached critical mass and imploded.

Thanks to all for the answers.  I've read DIGIS.TXT and some of the
other references, but most of what I read is "you should do this, not
that".  I can only assume that the difference in RELAY, WIDE, WIDEn-n
is in the way callsign substitution and traffic history for duplicate
suppression is handled.

I asked these questions mainly because I'm considering setting up a
digi at home (there are none in my area).  I really haven't found
enough information to make me feel confident I can set up the station
the correct way.

thanks,
Jason
kg4wsv